1⁄2 cup canola oil
3⁄4 cup sugar, honey, agave or maple syrup
2 large eggs
1⁄2 pound carrots, scrubbed and grated*
1⁄2 cup chopped lightly toasted pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
1. With the help of your adult, turn the oven on and set it to 350 degrees.
2. Put cupcake liners in 12 cupcake or muffin tins.
3. Put the oil, sugar and eggs in a large bowl or in a stand mixer with paddles attached.
4. Beat the mixture until everything is evenly blended.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined.
6. Using the scoop, fill each of the prepared muffin tins 2/3 of the way to the top.
7. With the help of your adult, put the muffin tins in the oven and bake 22–25 minutes or until the tops are slightly browned and rounded. (When they’re done, a toothpick should come out clean.)
8. Let sit until cool (10–15 minutes). Then remove the cupcakes from the tins.
Did you know? Carrots have been used to sweeten cakes since medieval times when pure sugar was too expensive.
Measuring spoon, Mixer or large bowl, 2 ounce scoop or tablespoon, Small bowl, Table knife, Measuring cups, Box grater, Cupcake liners, 12-cup muffin tin
HANDS-ON TIME: 20 MINUTES | TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES | MAKES: 12 SERVINGS
Recipe courtesy of http://www.chopchopmag.org/