2 whole-grain tortillas or wraps (enough to cover the tortilla)
1 bunch fresh spinach leaves
1⁄2 cup canned dark red kidney beans (drained, rinsed, and mashed with a fork)
2⁄3 cups shredded Monterey jack or cheddar cheese
1⁄2 ripe avocado (peeled and pitted* if you like avocado)
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
1. Put one tortilla on the plate and cover with the spinach leaves.
2. Top the spinach leaves with the mashed beans.
3. Top the beans with the cheese.
4. If you like avocado, ask your adult to help you slice it, then put a few slices on top of the cheese.
5. Put the other tortilla on top of the avocado, gently pressing it down so the top half sticks. (Don’t pat it down too much or the insides will squish out!)
6. Put the plate in the microwave and heat until the cheese melts, about 45 seconds. Or, with the help of your adult, place a nonstick skillet over medium heat until it’s hot, then place the tortilla in the skillet.
7. Cook until golden brown, about 1–2 minutes on each side.
8. Set aside to cool a little bit: Careful! The spinach and cheese will be wicked hot!
9. With the help of your adult, cut the quesadilla into 8 triangles. Serve with salsa.
Measuring Cups, Fork, Sharp Knife, Large Plate, Microwave or nonstick skillet, Potholder
HANDS-ON TIME: 10 MINUTES | TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES | MAKES: 2 SERVINGS
Recipe courtesy of http://www.chopchopmag.org/